Friday, February 12, 2010

2/8/10 – 2/9/10 – The Day We Met Tomie dePaola…Concord, NH

From amiable Amherst, MA, we rambled to the capital of New Hampshire, Concord. Situated near the geographical center of the state of New Hampshire, Concord has a population of 42,000. One of the most notable residents of Concord was Christa McAuliffe, the teacher who died during the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster in 1986. The weather in Concord was cold and crisp as a huge winter storm was making its way toward the Northeast.

Lately, road weariness and disorientation have set in. I often wake up in my hotel room, unsure of where I am or what day it is. Travelling in the van has become a tedious, but necessary venture, and I find myself wishing that we were at our destinations moments after we have embarked on our journey. Nevertheless, I try my best to keep my spirits elevated and make the most of every opportunity that presents itself.





Our performance venue in Concord was at the Chubb Theatre at the Capitol Center for the Arts, a cute two-tier, 1306-seat theatre. We played two sold out shows to boisterous audiences, and both shows were sharp and brimming with great energy. The highlight of our performances in Concord? Tomie dePaola*, the author/illustrator of over 200 books, including the ‘Strega Nona’ stories, attended our second Concord performance! It was a delight to meet Tomie – he is such a wonderful, charming and radiant individual. He joked with me about how I had lost weight since the last time I saw him and how I had paid for his swimming pool. This was definitely one of the best moments of the tour for all. [*For more information about Tomie dePaola, please visit his website at www.tomie.com.]



Next stop – Durgin Hall at the University of Massachusetts in Lowell, MA. Until the next adventure…

Ciao!
XOXO-
Janine

No comments:

Post a Comment