Thursday, February 11, 2010

2/1/10 – 2/2/10 – ‘New York, New York, it’s a wonderful town’


After a long, grueling week of twelve performances, everyone was exhausted and ready for a little break. We were excited to have two days off in New York City to relax and recharge.



I love New York City – the energy, the people, the attractions. Having two days off in the city was just what my mind and body needed after almost four weeks on the road. In the spirit of the NYC-based Letterman show, I have composed a top ten list of some of the best things that I did during my two days off in the Big Apple:

  1. On one day, I walked almost 100+ blocks. Since our hotel did not have a fitness center, I had to get my exercise in somehow - might as well get some exercise and take in the sights of the city.


  2. I visited a drama book store and bought ten plays. There is no better place than New York to pick up the latest and newest dramatic works.

  3. I enjoyed a lovely walk from our hotel, located conveniently near Times Square, to Lincoln Center, where I met my castmate Jimmy, and bought a ticket to ‘Sleeping Beauty’ at the NYC Ballet. From Lincoln Center, we then perambulated through Central Park to the Upper East Side. There is nothing better than having good company and good conversation during a leisurely stroll.


  4. I spent an entire afternoon at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, taking in Egyptian and Asian antiquities, admiring paintings and ornate furniture, and absorbing the art in the American Wing.


  5. I spent one afternoon walking through the Fashion District to Herald Square and then to the West Village. Walking past the assorted fabric and trim stores and the Parsons School of Design reminded me of one of my favorite TV shows, Project Runway.

  6. I saw the musical ‘Next to Normal’, which overall, I thought was good. The performance that I had hoped to like the most, I actually liked the least; however, I was pleasantly amazed by two other actors in the show. And to top it all off, my ticket, which was orchestra seating (with a few sightline issues), was only $40.


  7. I saw Yasmina Reza’s ‘God of Carnage’, which I thought was excellent. I had originally tried to get a ticket to ‘A View from the Bridge’ with Liev Schreiber and Scarlet Johansson. When I discovered that the only tickets remaining for this show were standing room only, I scurried to the Jacobs Theatre, where I scored a great fourth row center seat to ‘God of Carnage’. I laughed so much during this 90-minute, intermission-less comedy that my sides hurt and tears spilled down my cheeks. The cast of Christine Lahti, Annie Potts, Jimmy Smits and Ken Stott was superb and I got to meet 3 out of 4 of the actors after the show (check out my picture with Annie Potts!)


  8. I ate a great and surprisingly cheap meal at Dallas BBQ at Times Square. Who can complain about a filling, delicious meal that costs less than $10?

  9. I ate one of the most delicious pieces of cheesecake that I have ever eaten at a restaurant called Junior’s, that is located right next to the Booth Theatre where ‘Next to Normal’ is playing. Their Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake is to die for!

  10. I reinvigorated my soul, spirit, mind, body and creativity. Nothing like a couple of days off doing things that you love to recharge your batteries.


Next stops – the Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts in Brooklyn, NY, and the Paramount Center for the Arts in Peekskill, NY. Until the next adventure…

Ciao!
XOXO-
Janine

No comments:

Post a Comment