Monday, January 25, 2010

1/21/10 – 1/23/10 – At the Crossroads of New England…Lebanon, NH

The next city in our ‘Strega Nona’ adventure was Lebanon, NH. Nestled in the Connecticut River Valley in Western New Hampshire, Lebanon has a population of 12,640 and is the home of Dartmouth Medical School. Lebanon is a cute, picturesque New England community, complete with colder New England temperatures and plenty of snow.



Over a period of two days, we performed three shows at the Lebanon Opera House. The Lebanon Opera House is a two-tier, 803-seat venue with a slightly raked stage. Performing on a raked stage with a rolling set is definitely an interesting and exciting experience. Throughout all of our shows, we had to keep an eye of the set, in case it started to roll or move downstage. At one point in our first show, I almost got hit by a runaway trunk following a set change.

During our shows, we also kept an eye on the audience, hopeful that Tomie DePaola, the author of ‘Strega Nona’, would be there. We had been told that there was a possibility that Mr. DePaola might attend one of our New Hampshire shows, as he is a resident of New London, New Hampshire. Unfortunately, he did not attend, but all three of our performances in Lebanon still went well despite my lingering cold, which I fear has now developed into a sinus and/or ear infection.

On our final evening at our hotel, the lovely Courtyard Marriott, our bartender Josephine told us that the hotel had been visited by the Extreme Makeover TV Show and Barack Obama in his pre-presidential days. As I enjoyed a warm bowl of soup and hot cup of tea at the bar, I watched the Hope for Haiti telethon for the victims of the massive Haiti earthquake and felt extremely grateful and appreciative to be where I am in my life. Every time that I am feeling sorry for myself, I remind myself of those in far worse conditions than I am, and remember just how fortunate and blessed I am.

Next stop – the Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center in Westhampton Beach, NY. Until the next adventure…

Ciao!
XOXO-
Janine

1 comment: