Tuesday, March 16, 2010

3/12/10 – 3/14/10 – Like a Shiny Toy…Chicago, IL



As the famous song goes, Chicago is my kind of town. The third largest city in the United States, this Windy City is the home to many wonderful theatres, cultural and sporting events, neighborhoods, eateries and attractions. We spent three lovely, carefree days in Chicago. While most of my tourmates were M.I.A., opting to spend their time off with friends/family or in their comfy hotel rooms or at the swanky movie theatre across the street from the hotel, I decided to spend as much of my time as possible absorbing and experiencing the wonderful Chicagoan ambience.

Here is a brief recap of my Chicago adventures:

  1. I enjoyed some yummy Chicago deep dish pizza.
  2. I saw the St. Patrick’s Day parade revelers as they wandered intoxicated about the city and in Millennium Park. In typical St. Patty’s Day fashion, the Chicago River was dyed green.
  3. I spent one rainy afternoon inside at The Art Institute of Chicago, viewing many Impressionist works (e.g. Seurat, Monet, Renoir, Toulouse-Lautrec, van Gogh), Surrealist pieces (e.g. Picasso, Dali, Lam, Miro) and Modernist installations (e.g. Pollack, Mondrian). If you are an avid art enthusiast, this museum is the perfect place to pass the time.


  4. Over the course of three days, I saw five shows. The Brother/Sister Plays, a three-play cycle at the renowned Steppenwolf Theatre; Killer Joe at Profiles Theatre; and an improv showcase at Second City.




  5. Steppenwolf Theatre is a world class, Tony-award winning ensemble theatre company based in Chicago. Founded in 1974 by Gary Sinise, Terry Kinney and Jeff Perry in the basement of a church in Highland Park, IL, this company takes its name from the novel by Herman Hesse. Many of Steppenwolf’s shows often travel to New York City, including a pivotal True West production starring Gary Sinise and John Malkovich, and the recent dramatic success by Tracy Letts, August: Osage County. Steppenwolf has launched the careers of a number of well-known American actors such as Gary Sinise, John Malkovich, Joan Allen, John Mahoney, Martha Plimpton, Gary Cole and Laurie Metcalf.

    The Brother/Sister Plays, written by Tarell Alvin McCraney and directed by Tina Landau, is a series of three plays: In the Red and Brown Water, The Brothers Size, and Marcus; Or the Secret of Sweet. This play cycle is one of the best theatrical productions that I have ever experienced, incorporating narrative storytelling, music, movement and African tradition. Steppenwolf is truly one of the best ensembles in the theatre world and I hope that perhaps, with work and persistence, I, too, can be one of their members. Truly amazing!

    Killer Joe, written by Tracy Letts and directed by Rick Snyder (both Steppenwolf ensemble members), was a wonderfully dark and disturbing production. This tale is about one of the most dysfunctional families you will ever see and Profiles Theatre’s intimate setting suits the play well. The production features a talented cast of five actors. The show has been so well received that not only has the play been extended, but it will also move to another venue following its extension.

    Second City is a top comedy club and training center that has cultivated many of the nation’s finest and best known comics, such as Steve Carell, Tina Fey, Chris Farley, Mike Myers, Stephen Colbert, Amy Sedaris and Jon Favreau, among others. Located in Chicago’s Old Town neighborhood, Second City opened in 1959 and now has branches in Los Angeles and Toronto. This long-running improve comedy enterprise is known for its format of semi-improvised, scripted scenes that are created based on audience suggestions. The improv showcase that I attended on my last night in Chicago was fun and wildly witty, and featured a performer that I knew personally – my friend from Reno and college, Tyler Dean.

  6. Not only did I get the chance to see my friend perform, but I also had the opportunity to visit with Tyler and his husband, Mike, two of my dear friends from my Reno days. It was so nice to be able to reconnect with them. One of these days, I hope to return and visit them again as our time together was way too short-lived.
I had so much fun during my three days in Chicago that I almost forgot about the change to Daylight Savings Time. My time in Chicago was just what I needed: three days to rest, recharge and renew my exhausted road-weary self.



Next stop –the Schauer Center in Hartford, WI. Until the next adventure…

Ciao!
XOXO-
Janine

No comments:

Post a Comment